25 March 2014

Basic Techniques | HDR Photography

After explaining dynamic range in a previous post, I felt that it would be appropriate to expand on that in this post by talking about 'HDR Photography'.

A while ago I did a tutorial on how to get perfect exposure across your whole image, which touches on what I'll be talking about today, so you can check that out here first if you'd like, but today I am going to expand on the concept of HDR photography a little bit more by explaining what it's is all about.

HDR stands for 'high dynamic range' and is achieved in post-processing by combining a number of images of the same scene, shot at varying shutter speeds, to create one "perfectly" exposed image, creating a more accurate replica of what your eye would have seen at the time, therefore creating a more dynamic range throughout the photo.   

People often use it to create hyper-real photographs by combining numerous exposures to get every section of the image to the "correct" exposure. A photographer called Albert Knuttson is incredibly good at this technique as you can see in the images of his that i've included below. He manages to get every area of the scene to the best exposure creating these incredible hyper-real images.

©Albert Knutsson

As you can see, they are very different to most normal shots, they have a very different look and feel to them, they're more like pieces of art/illustrations than photographs, very intriguing!

©2014HannahBennett

I'm not a big fan of HDR photography though, it seems like a very hard skill to perfect, however, I do find that it's useful when used subtly to achieve a perfect overall exposure like this image I shot above which I included in the post I spoke about earlier where I used a technique known as bracketing to achieve this.

What are your thought on HDR photography? Let me know in the comments below!
Have any of you ever given it a go? I'd love to see them if you have :)

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment