7 November 2013

Ivory Rose of Innocence

Today is the second day of my week of blogging and after talking about Karl Blossfeldt in yesterdays post. I decided to follow on from that with a post about one of my popular flower images.

It's quite different from the style of Karl blossfeldt but also slightly similar at the same time. The lack of colour makes it similar to work of his as all of his photographs were black and white, however mine is much softer than the grainy, dark images that he produced. My photograph below has less tonal range than his work as he captured a huge variety of dark and light shades in his images.


©2013HannahBennett
The composition of this image is completely different to the simple overhead views that Karl was known for. I have cropped in tightly to the centre of the flower head and have positioned it within the top left of the frame so that it sits nicely, following the rule of thirds. I've also chosen to use a low f stop to create a shallow depth of field to soften the outer petals and give the image a soft, calm feel to it, which in unison with the lack of colour works perfectly.

I was very pleased with this shot as it was one that I discarded at first but with a little bit of work in Photoshop has actually become quite a successful image. If you'd like to view it in better detail it can be found here on my flickr page along with other pieces from my portfolio here.


No comments:

Post a Comment