Leon and Peter Baas are Dutch photographers who specialise in nature photography, I am particularly interested in their macro insect shots so I've decided to make them my photographers of the week this week. They have a very distinctive style of shots, they are all beautifully lit which results in such vibrant colours being captured making their images extremely eye-catching. This image below displays just a small section of their work.
![]() |
| ⒸPeterAndLeonBaas |
They spend a lot of time researching the insects that they plan to photograph so that they can understand the habits of the creatures, which enables them to follow their every move carefully, resulting in these fantastic shots. They also rarely use photoshop as they spend a great deal of time focusing on the lighting of their shots instead. I have recently purchased a flashgun so i'm hoping to take inspiration from their work when using it to try and achieve shots as beautiful as theirs, I can't wait until summer to do so!
![]() |
| ⒸPeterAndLeonBaas |
This photograph of an ant is my absolute favourite of theirs, captured by Leon. I love the combination of pink and purple tones which create a gorgeous soft background, contrasted against the sharp brown colours of the ant making him really stand out. It's incredible how he's managed to capture it just at the right moment to make it look as though the tiny ant is walking on water. I can only dream of being able to achieve a shot as amazing as this!
If you'd like to find out more about Peter and Leon Bass, and look at all their other fantastic images you can check out their website here.
Thanks for reading!



No comments:
Post a Comment