25 February 2014

My Photography | Snowdrops

Below is the first image from my snowdrops series...

snowdrop scene
ISO Speed:ISO-200
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/100
©2014HannahBennett

This was one of my favourite pics of the day because I love the interesting combination of colours throughout the scene. The colours are predominantly green and white but there's also the lovely flash of purple from the crocuses and also, some subtle, tiny, dots of brown leaves littered across the screen. I love the intense colour of the purple popping up all over the scene. I'm not particularly fond of taking landscape shots though, I find it difficult because I feel like you can't input much creativity,for me it's more of a 'point and shoot' situation. Because I struggle with this, I chose to use the landscape picture mode setting here to help me get the right settings which I think is the reason why the colours are so intense, as I mentioned in a recent post about picture modes, this option helps to capture vivid colours across the scene, which is something that was definitely achieved throughout this shot. I am please that despite the camera being in landscape mode it choose to use a low numbered f stop, resulting in a shallow depth of field, blurring the flowers as they go off into the background. The depth of field is shallow enough to notice them creeping out without blurring them into one mass of white and making the snowdrops indistinguishable. However, I think I could of improved this image slightly by removing the few stray purple crocuses at the front by moving forward a couple of steps to get rid of them, creating just one band of purple directly through the middle of the frame. Obviously i wouldn't pick them as this would be intefering with nature!

snowdrop stem


Overall I am pleased with this shot, stay tuned tomorrow for the next of the series, in the meantime here's a sneak peek of tomorrow's shot for you.






No comments:

Post a Comment